Interface analysis is used to identify where, what, why, when, how, and for whom information is exchanged between solution components or across solution boundaries.
Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK®)
An interface is a shared boundary between the components. Interface analysis is a business analysis elicitation technique that helps to identify the interfaces between the solutions to determine the requirements for ensuring that the components interact with one another effectively. It can also help in determining the requirements for interoperability. The interface analysis types ranges from the user interfaces, the interfaces to and from the external applications, and the interfaces to and from the external hardware. Interface analysis helps in discovering the requirements needed to integrate software into its new environment. This technique allow you to define the requirements for how the solution and its component pieces interact with one another and with the outside world.
The solutions in interface analysis require one or more interfaces to exchange the information with other solution components, organizational units, and business processes. The early identification of the interface analysis allows the business analysts to provide the context for eliciting more detailed stakeholders requirements, thus determining the adequate functional coverage of the solution to meet the stakeholder needs. Interface analysis defines and clarifies the use of interface, what information is being exchanged, when it will be done, where then information exchange occur, and how the interface analysis is implemented. It help us to identify the issues that need to be resolved in order to develop a interface solution.
Some of the articles related to Interface Analysis techniques are as follows,
- Interface Analysis Function - http://seclab.cs.sunysb.edu/seclab/pubs/dsn17.pdf
- Interface Analysis - https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/guidebooks/tech_interface_analysis.html
- Interface Analysis Design - https://www.slideshare.net/SaqibRaza21/user-interface-analysis-and-design
- Interface Analysis Technique - https://blog.learningtree.com/business-analysis-technique-interface-analysis/
- Interface Analysis Reduce Risk - https://www.agileconnection.com/article/how-early-interface-analysis-reduces-risk
- Principles of Interface Analysis - http://seclab.cs.sunysb.edu/seclab/pubs/dsn17.pdf
- Interface Analysis for Systems - https://www.academia.edu/19188107/Interface_hazard_analysis_for_system_of_systems
- Interface analysis uses - https://research.tableau.com/sites/default/files/uist2016eviza.pdf
- Interface Analysis Design - https://www.academia.edu/10831117/Interface_analysis_in_biosensor_design
- Interface Analysis Requirement Gathering - https://www.pmmajik.com/project-requirement-gathering-interface-analysis/
The design of the interface analysis are generally used to define the systems interfaces. It is important that the interface information is described with appropriate detail at each design level. The important components in interface analysis technique are,
Preparing for Identification - A context diagram can reveal high level interfaces between human actors, organizational rules, business processes, and other solution components. The result of this analysis can reveal how frequently the existing interface are being used and the problems that may strengthen the case for change
Conduct Interface Identification - Business analysts identify what interfaces are needed in the future state for each stakeholder that interact with the system. The relationship between the stakeholders can be many to many or one to one.
Defining Interfaces - The interface defines the user work flow between the systems, user roles and privileges, and any management objectives for the interface. Interactions are triggered by the typical flow of inputs and outputs in the business solutions.
Advantages of using interface analysis are,
- By engaging the interface analysis early, increased functional coverage is provided.
- Clear specification of the interface analysis provides a structured requirements, business rules and constraints to the solutions.
- It avoid over analysis of fine detail.
Some of the books for Interface Analysis techniques are,
- Interface Analysis: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems | Jef Raskin | https://www.amazon.com/Humane-Interface-Directions-Designing-Interactive/dp/0201379376/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=interface+analysis+books&qid=1592207887&sr=8-17
- Interface Analysis Models and Growth Processes | Peter Morters | https://www.amazon.com/Analysis-Stochastics-Growth-Processes-Interface-ebook/dp/B005NKLAVU/ref=sr_1_118?dchild=1&keywords=interface+analysis+books&qid=1592208196&sr=8-118
- Elements of Interface Analysis Design | Theo Mandel | https://www.amazon.com/Elements-User-Interface-Design/dp/0471162671/ref=sr_1_123?dchild=1&keywords=interface+analysis+books&qid=1592208196&sr=8-123