Activity sampling is a technique used for predicting the total time consumed by an activity, in processes ranging from customer service and manufacturing to the market.
Activity sampling is also called as the work sampling which is based on the statistical method was first devised by L.H.S.Tippet in 1934. It is an important technique because it permits quick analysis, recognition, enhancement of responsibilities, tasks, performance competences, and organizational work flows. In activity sampling, large number of activities are made over an extended period of time. The observations in activity sampling must be taken at random times during the period of study and the period must be representative of types of activities performed by the data. One important usage of the activity sampling is the determination of standard time for a manufacturing task. The technique has also been applied more broadly to examine the process in number of different environments. It will determine the frequency of specific activities that define a process executed within a work system or a group of similar work systems by taking random samples.
Activity sampling is a technique that can be used as a means for collecting the data. It is a technique in which large number of observations are made over the processes. Each observation records what is happening at that instant and the percentage of observations are recorded for a particular activity. It is normally used for collecting the information about the project. Activity sampling can be carried out at random or fixed intervals of time. Random activity sampling is where the intervals between the observations are selected at random. The fixed interval is usually chosen where activities are performed by a person or group of people who have a degree of control over what they do and when they do it.
Some of the articles related to Activity sampling techniques are as follows,
- Activity Sampling - https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2012/CMMI/T15227_Young.pdf
- Managing Activity Sampling - https://www.managers-net.com/activity_sampling.html
- Defining Activity Sampling - http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/activity-sampling.html
- Guideline for Activity Sampling - https://www.who.int/areas/quality_safety/quality_assurance/GuidelinesSamplingPharmProductsTRS929Annex4.pdf
- Activity Sampling Methods - https://medcraveonline.com/BBIJ/BBIJ-05-00149.pdf
- BA Techniques: Activity Sampling - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319998246_Sampling_Methods_in_Research_Methodology_How_to_Choose_a_Sampling_Technique_for_Research
- Activity Sampling Example - https://www.fundsforngos.org/free-resources-for-ngos/project-activities-sample-proposal-womens-sustainable-livelihood-development/
- Introduction to Activity Sampling - https://cs.fit.edu/~jpmcgee/classes/CSE5800/SamplingTechniques.pdf
- Activity Based Sampling - https://semspub.epa.gov/work/HQ/175325.pdf
- Techniques of Activity Sampling - http://iced.cag.gov.in/wp-content/uploads/C-07/SAMPLING_TECHNIQUES.pdf
- Activity Sampling and Survey Methods - https://soc.kuleuven.be/ceso/historischedemografie/resources/pdf/ML/survey10.pdf
Some of the steps involved in activity sampling technique are,
- Define the manufacturing task for which the the standard time is to be determined.
- Define the task elements
- Design the study
- Identify the observers who will do the study
- Start the study
- Make random visits and collect the observations
- After completing the study, analyze and present the results.
Advantages of Activity sampling technique are,
- Only one analyst can perform the activity sampling study of many activities
- Many activities which are impractical to measure by time study can readily be measured by activity sampling.
- Observation may be made over a period of weeks or days thus decreasing the changes of day to day or week to week variations.
- The activity sampling may be interrupted at any time without affecting the results
Some of the books for Activity sampling techniques are,
- Activity Sampling: A Guide to Analysis | Paul D. Ellis | https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Guide-Effect-Activity-Sampling-Interpretation/dp/0581142866/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=activity+sampling+books&qid=1793240941&sr=8-29
- Understanding of Activity Sampling | Geoff Cumming | https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Activity-Sampling-Meta-Analysis-Multivariate/dp/041547967X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=activity+sampling+buiness+analysis+books&qid=1553249948&sr=8-3