This article discusses “Silviculture and its SOP Manual”. Silviculture is the art and science of controlling the establishment, growth, composition, health, and quality of forests and woodlands to meet the diverse needs and values of landowners and society such as wildlife habitat, timber, water resources, restoration, and recreation on a sustainable basis.
Forestry resources are managed by long, middle and short term national, regional and local scale plans, programs and special arrangements to consider international and national purposes. The smallest administrative and planning units of forest area in Turkey are the Forest Administration Chief Offices. Planning units are managed by forest management plans prepared in accordance with Ecosystem-based Multiple Use Forest Management principles. The application steps of forest management plans are the silvicultural plans. Although the preparation of silviculture plans in the last five-year period in Turkey is included in the planning process as a legal challenge, a definite standard cannot be formed in the preparation and application of the silviculture plans. In this article, silvicultural plan of Hisar Administration Chief Office selected as the pilot area in order to find solutions to the specified problems were prepared. The process of preparing silviculture plan has been introduced comprehensively. The process begins after the completion of forest management plans. Silviculture plan preparation process, the measurement and evaluation on the forest land, geographical database design, the preparation of silvicultural treatment prescriptions, the production of output such as table, graph and maps, and application, monitoring and evaluation are composed of stages.
Some of the international association of Silviculture:
- Association for Silviculture (AS).
- The Association for Sustainable Forestry (ASF).
- The Commonwealth Forestry Association (CFA).
- The Western Forestry Contractor’s Association (WFCA).
- Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP).
- Forest Owner Association (FOA).
- National Association of State Foresters (NASF).
- Canadian Forester State Organization (CFSO).
- The California Forestry Association (CFA).
- Maryland Forests Association (MFA).
- Association for Sustainable Forestry (ASF).
- Washington Forest Protection Association (WFPA).
- Intermountain Forest Association (IFA).
- The Mississippi Forestry Association (MFA).
- The Tennessee Forestry Association (TFA).
- The West Virginia Forestry Association (WVFA).
- Minnesota Forestry Association (MFA).
- ISO 14001: 2015
- ISO 16122-4: 2015
- ISO 9001: 2008
- ISO 17021: 2006
- ISO 9001: 2015
- ISO 14001: 2004
- ISO 11783-10: 2015
- ISO 14269-3: 1997
- ISO 1840: 1976
Some of the magazines and journals that will keep you track on:
- Forestry Journals and Publication | http://silviculture.org.uk/forestry-journals-and-publications/ |
- Journal of Forestry | https://academic.oup.com/jof |
- International Journal of forestry research | https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijfr/ |
- Journal of Sustainable forestry | https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/wjsf20/current |
- International journal of Silviculture and Agroforestry | http://advancedscholarsjournals.org/journal/ijsa/about |
- Journal of Silviculture and forestry Ecology | https://foresta.sisef.org/ |
- Central European forestry journal | https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/forj/forj-overview.xml?language=en |
- Journal of Horticulture and Forestry | https://academicjournals.org/journal/JHF |
- Crojfe Journal of Forest engineering | http://www.crojfe.com/ |